As a young twenty something I cavorted around the world with a back pack loaded with nothing more than the bare essentials, a swim suit, a sarong, thongs, a change of clothes, shampoo, tooth brush and paste, the Lonely Planet and my mate Gaffa. It didn’t start out that way of course. Continue reading
Chances are you may be reading this because you love the thought of travelling and flying off to exotic destinations but have never actually travelled and can’t quite get yourself over the line despite all your daydreams. If that is case then perhaps you are experiencing some form of Hodophobia, a fear of travel. Continue reading
As our nation’s birthday is upon us I am reflecting on what I love most about the country I call home. The freedoms we enjoy and the lifestyle we lead, all made possible due to the sacrifices of our diggers, makes Australians some of the luckiest people on the planet. Continue reading
Whether you are transiting through Perth or simply a local wanting to play tourist and only have a day in Perth then ambling around the CBD and surrounds can be an enriching experience especially with kids in tow. Continue reading
Born With a Suitcase is specifically aimed at enabling ordinary families to travel on a budget which means going to your destination fully independent. An organised tour will cost you double the price and you won’t have complete control over where you go and what you do. An independent trip is fully customisable however, the planning process can be daunting, not to mention arduous, yet hugely rewarding and exciting. Continue reading
When doing the family budget, the holiday has first priority, food and household bills are second and third respectively. If we eat baked beans every week until we depart, that will pay for two nights accommodation somewhere.
- When buying clothes all you can think of is how well it would pack and how long it will take to dry.
- When buying that new couch, you look at the price tag and think ‘that’s a return airfare to London,’ you walk out empty handed and tell yourself the ‘black hole’ in the old sofa really isn’t that bad after all.
- When your inbox has at least 50 emails a day advertising specials from all the airlines that fly out of your nearest international airport.
- Wrestling with your conscious about taking the kids out of school again, but the devil always wins.
- When you are three years behind on all the holiday photo books you are ‘gonna’ make.
- When you know the exchange rate of all the major currencies off by heart.
- When you have visited at least ten countries in the last week….online.
- When you own no less than 5 cameras and 10 suitcases and backpacks of varying sizes, shapes and designs.
- When you can count to ten, ask for a toilet and a train ticket in at least ten different languages.
A family trip to Tasmania turns into a tour of toilets with their two young sons in tow… Continue reading