Welcome to the adventures of my family’s great Australian road trip. Taking the family across the Nullarbor is a rite of passage for any self respecting Australian. Crossing this great nation of ours across the desert to experience its total vastness and awesomeness should be on every Aussie’s bucket list. The adventure is here… Continue reading
Chances are you may be reading this because you love the thought of travelling and flying off to exotic destinations but have never actually travelled and can’t quite get yourself over the line despite all your daydreams. If that is case then perhaps you are experiencing some form of Hodophobia, a fear of travel. Continue reading
As our nation’s birthday is upon us I am reflecting on what I love most about the country I call home. The freedoms we enjoy and the lifestyle we lead, all made possible due to the sacrifices of our diggers, makes Australians some of the luckiest on the planet. Continue reading
I’ve been lucky enough to have visited the Grand Canyon no less than three times and coming all the way from Australia, this is no mean feat. I rarely go back to the same place twice but when it comes to the world’s largest canyon is it any wonder why so many others return time and again. It’s not enough to get your photos out and reminisce because none of them do it justice. You just have to stand there and let your jaw drop in a stunned mullet fashion, take a zillion photos, look at another vantage point and ogle some more and more until the sun goes down and you just can’t see it any longer. So get up extra specially early to ogle at it some more before you really, really have to leave to get to your next destination. By the way. this blog is also dedicated to my friend who got Las Vegas fever and never quite made it to this world famous icon because she was too “under the weather”. Continue reading
Now I know you are probably wondering what camera and equipment I use when travelling. Throughout this blog I have used a variety of cameras, all from a point and shoot to a more specialised prosumer DSLR. Continue reading
TOP 5 PLACES IN NAMIBIA
Africa holds a very special place in my heart and after travelling through almost every other part of Southern Africa, Namibia has to be my favourite. Its ruggedness reminds me of the harshness of my own desert state, yet it has everything else that the rest of Africa has in terms of wildlife and a rich culturally diverse nation, but more importantly I felt completely 100% safe. On this trip I went solo, but it’s a place I would not hesitate to take young children or teens. It’s easy to hire a car and stay in cheap accommodation or hire a 4WD with all the camping gear and hit the road. Continue reading
Following on from the haphazard adventures of my last April school holiday post, “A Mother’s Survival Guide”, where the very word camping still finds me in the foetal position rocking back and forth, I have become the very proud owner of a 1986 Viscount caravan called Lillian. Low cost cheerless camping has now morphed into low cost captivating caravanning capers, Chevy Chase style… Continue reading
Whether you are transiting through Perth or simply a local wanting to play tourist and only have a day in Perth then ambling around the CBD and surrounds can be an enriching experience especially with kids in tow. Continue reading
Born With a Suitcase is specifically aimed at enabling ordinary families to travel on a budget which means going to your destination fully independent. An organised tour will cost you double the price and you won’t have complete control over where you go and what you do. An independent trip is fully customisable however, the planning process can be daunting, not to mention arduous, yet hugely rewarding and exciting. Continue reading
- When doing the family budget, the holiday has first priority, food and household bills are second and third respectively. If we eat baked beans every week until we depart, that will pay for two nights accommodation somewhere.
- When buying clothes all you can think of is how well it would pack and how long it will take to dry.
- When buying that new couch, you look at the price tag and think ‘that’s a return airfare to London,’ you walk out empty handed and tell yourself the ‘black hole’ in the old sofa really isn’t that bad after all.
- When your inbox has at least 50 emails a day advertising specials from all the airlines that fly out of your nearest international airport.
- Wrestling with your conscious about taking the kids out of school again, but the devil always wins.
- When you are three years behind on all the holiday photo books you are ‘gonna’ make.
- When you know the exchange rate of all the major currencies off by heart.
- When you have visited at least ten countries in the last week….online.
- When you own no less than 5 cameras and 10 suitcases and backpacks of varying sizes, shapes and designs.
- When you can count to ten, ask for a toilet and a train ticket in at least ten different languages.